Chrysalis

Hope supports change

Name:
Location: Abilene, Texas

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A day of conversations

Archival work stepped back for a while today, for a series of conversations. A remarkable day. First, I asked a theology student who works in the library to bring me up to date on the sermon he preached yesterday for homiletics class. He is beginning to see how he can be creative in his own way, finding his voice. I recommended Dorothy Sayers' The Mind of the Maker.

Then, another theology student showed up for help with revising a paper, which led to a conversation about degree choices and career paths. Meanwhile, a theology student who has been working for me in the archives stepped in with an update on his job search. Suddenly, it was noon.

After lunch there was email and a phone call to a woman trying to dispose of the books and papers of her deceased parents. I found out about her two days after she put a whole series of elders' minutes in the dumpster. Aaaagh! But there are still other things that can be saved.

And then ... another theology student, who noticed a photo of Alexander Campbell and his youngest children (ca. 1848) in my office, which led to an examination of the number of infant deaths in the Campbell family, and from there to infant mortalities on the frontier of Texas; all that leading to theology student D's real question, about the source of consolation in a faith which he has seen in his rearview mirror as rigidly legalistic.

How did I come by my collection of theology students? Well, three of the four have worked or work now for the Center for Restoration Studies, whose materials I take care of.

Long ago, when I was on a retention study committee at Lubbock Christian, I read an article which demonstrated that the single strongest correlation was between retention and a campus job. Why? because there is a consistent personal link between the student and the supervisor.

I expected to train my student workers in historical judgement and techniques of handling fragile materials. Apparently my career as a theological librarian and archivist includes a part in the professional formation of theology students, as well.

Placet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

As one of your theology students, I can confirm that your job does indeed entail a significant degree of mentoring and career counseling. Thanks for being there, Dr. Berryhill.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Carisse said...

Thanks. It's my joy. (I think you were the third student in that essay.)

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home